From Sidewalk 196 – January 2013
I have known Jeremy for about 6 or 7 years now, pretty much since I started skateboarding. We live about 10 minuets from each other and skate together most days. The one thing I can say about Jeremy is that he has never been anything but himself on his board and off: he has always been good but in the last two years I have witnessed him “go turbo” with his unstoppable board control. The sad thing is that he is ginger. He is a calm person but can get loose when he feels to. All I can really say Jeremy is, ‘thank you for all the good times and sessions, biffters and beers’! Keep smashing it!
Text: Alex ‘Keira Knightley’ Lally
Photography by Rob Shaw
Hello Jeremy, how old are you and where are you from?
– Hello Alex, I’m 20 and I’m from Twickenham, which is in southwest London.
Where do you participate in the act/art of skateboarding?
– I usually skate in Kingston or central, suburban street missions are always fun. Richmond has a few good spots, Clapham Com- mon and then shelter at Bay66 when required. I’ve spent a chunk of my summer at the fairly new Kingston skatepark.
Am I right in stating you enjoy a good wallie?
– Where’s wally?
F*ck knows where he is, salamander milk or gone off hummus?
– Gone off hummus with baguette or bagel – I’m not sure if salamanders lactate or not.
I hope they do. What have you been doing with yourself lately on the board and off?
– On board I’ve been skating the new Bay66 quite a bit when I can afford it, Southbank night sessions as well, as the weather hasn’t been too good recently. Off board, I’ve been working in a cafe in Twickenham, which is good because nearly half the people who work there are skaters, and it’s taught me a lot. Also I’ve been doing loads of drawing and painting on griptape and canvas, building up a portfolio.
Your grip job sticks out like a shop with no Heineken, but in a good way, how long do you spend drawing on your grip?
– (Laughing), I normally just add bits and pieces; I think a whole board takes a few hours till I’m done with it. I think it’s interest- ing to add layers all the time because all sorts of stuff get stuck to griptape. The last board I had was speckled with blood and beer stains.
Being a ginger you obviously can’t go out in the day so what do you get up to at night, and do you have a soul?
– What is day? At dark time I normally overturn bins and howl. I had a soul once, swapped it for a shiny Charizard and a can of Red Stripe!
That’s lame. What are your plans for the not so distant future? (If this has been printed then I’m assuming the world did not end).
– Stoked, I’m gonna keep doing what I’m doing for a bit, been applying for graphic design courses, hoping to get into Bristol, been skating there a few times in the last year, would love to skate and study there.
Does anybody give you product at the moment?
– Pillo Wheels and Kev, he gave me a Stand Up tee once.
You went to Barcelona in the summer; do you have any plans to escape the English weather with your board this year?
– Yeah I would like to get around Europe a bit more, I skated Bulgaria years ago and would love to go back there: it was such a good experience.
Not many people know that your old man is stand up comedian Milton Jones, what’s it like living with him? I know you steal some of his jokes…
– (Laughing), he has stolen a joke or two off me in the past so we are even. He has been doing stand up since I can remember so I’m kinda used to it, he likes to try out his jokes at the dinner table, which can be a laugh. We have just been testing out a new electric scooter that he bought for a sketch actually, the thing only goes at 20 mph, no more, no less, so it will be funny to see how that turns out on stage.
Finally, who would you like to say thanks to, and are you coming to pound-a- pint night later?
– Yes, those snakebites won’t drink them selves, I’m cycling though and it’s supposed to rain later.
Thanks to everyone I’ve ever skated with. You (Lally), Justin, fat alcoholic Chris, Rowan, Marcus, Doug, Choad, Leeroy, Sweeney, Muzza, Ben, Aron, Si Franks, Spider legs, Matt, Mad dog, Terry, Puka Linto aka Luka Pinto, Lil Mikey, northern Josh, The Crowe aka Pocks. Karl Payne at Pillo, Jersey crew, Kev, BM, CRV WKD! SB heads, Bay heads, friends family and everyone else. Sorry if I forgot anybody.