From Sidewalk 196 – January 2013
I started seeing little Alex down at my local ramp when he must have only been around 8 or 9, and even at that age he had ridiculous board control. I didn’t see him come into his own however until a couple of years ago when he started becoming a frequent lurker at the bus station in MK. His ledge and manual skills progressed so ridiculously quickly I could hardly believe he was the same little fella I’d seen some months before. Anyway, wrapping it up, this is well-
deserved, nice work Alex! Keep it up.
Text By James Bush
Photography by Jamie Harold
Who are you?
– My name’s Alex Decunha, I’m 15, and I have been skating since the age of 6. I live in Milton Keynes.
What’s this about you having a few world records up your sleeve?
– Yeah, I have 3 Guinness World Records, just random skate stuff really, a bit of fun, but I’ve been to Italy twice, and China once to do TV shows, and met some crazy people through it. The China show had a viewing audience of 50 million! I got to see the Great Wall of China too, which was fun!
You’ve also met a fair few famous faces, who stoked you out the most?
– I had lunch with Holly Willoughby when I was 8, also met a lot of pro’s, but meeting Rodney Mullen was pretty cool, and meeting Ryan Sheckler was good too: the most memorable would probably be when I interviewed Tony Hawk for TV though.
What you got planned for 2013?
– Nothing really planned, just see what comes up: I plan to go and hang out in California with Mitchie Brusco for a while, but that’s more of a family thing, but it’s definitely gonna be great to skate over there!
What’s your favourite memory from skateboarding so far?
– There have been loads, but I remember the Emerica Wild in the Streets jam the most: hundreds of skaters bombing it through the roads of London, going from spot to spot, it was sick!
Lastly, who would you like to thank?
– I’d like to thank BBCMK for helping me out all these years, Quiksilver for everything and Jart skateboards, The Boardroom skatepark in Leicester, Guinness World Records for all the amazing trips, and everyone who’s helped me out throughout the years. Thanks to all my friends in MK too!Alex backside flips trademark shiny MK chrome.